Friday, March 19, 2010

I Heart Faces Constructive Fridays



This is my first post for constructive criticism on a picture! I am trying to learn more and more everyday. So this is my pick for the week. I would love your thoughts and comments. This is a picture of my Best Friends Brand New little girl. I took it yesterday, I got to be there for the birth, which was amazing!

I use a Nikon D80 and used my Tamron 18-200 lens on manual. I use PSE6 for editing.

This shot is SOOC.

SS 125
f/4.8
ISO 100
42mm
flash

For this image I just used the adjustment gradient map layer and then added text.


3 comments:

  1. I would try softening the skin using a quick layer mask.

    :)

    1. Duplicate layer.
    2. Quick layer mask
    3. Select areas with paintbrush tool (on a blurred edge).
    4. Deselect QLM.
    5. Inverse the selection.
    6. Gaussian blur.
    7. Add noise (at about 2 px).
    8. Wah-la!

    Make sure you leave the mouth, eyes and nose alone so that they still show up sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure how to do all that...I am new with PSE6, very basics I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this photo is utterly darling and that you shot it well. Newborns often have such blotchy skin, so b/w is a quick, easy fix. I thought this picture would be good as a square crop. I added her name above to balance the "heavy" bottom with the dark, empty top area. The only other edit I did was to dodge (brighten) the light spots in her eyes.
    My "after" pic is posted here: http://shortonwords.blogspot.com/2010/03/constructive-criticism-friday-at-ihf.html

    ReplyDelete